Pages

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Assembly Time

Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 7:00 my entire school stands in the yard for assembly time. We sing hymns (I sing them with my heart but keep quiet...they are all in Twi. My classmate Kendrea taught me how to sing one, but all the rest are impossible).

The headmaster then takes the stage and gives us some tough love. Sometimes the tone of his voice makes me think: "I'm not an animal!" but I know he actually cares about the student body. Ghanaian culture demands respect for elders, but on the same coin permits a certain degree of rudeness towards minors. I don't like it, but I can't change it.

Then the headmaster asks us to pray, and says his petitions. I love the fact that we are actually encouraged to pray at school, but I don't find the group prayers very enticing. They often go something like this: "Thank God you are alive. Many people are dead today, but you are alive. Think of all the people who are dead from accidents or illnesses. Thank God you aren't one of them."

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    This post brings back a lot of memories for me. Thanks for your honest accounts of your experiences in Africa. Africa changes a person. You will never be the same again. Terri Berger emailed me a picture of you, and I put it up on my classroom wall. I think of you all the time and wish you all of the best.

    ReplyDelete