Pages

Monday, January 21, 2013

My Pride, My Joy

On January 21, 2013 something occured that clashed my culture with Ghana.


If I had a fatal flaw, it would be pride. I eat up all the perks and prestige bestowed upon winners of the American academic system. (You say no one can take six APs and still have a 4.0? Watch me...Just you wait and see the scholarships I get...I bet I'll even get one to study in Ghana...I can't wait to put on all my medals at graduation...and even though there's no place for vice-salutitorian, I know it's me...3rd out of 700...) I don't say any of this, but it's on my mind all right. I bask in the rituals of academia, the rituals that are completely absent in Ghana's education system.


When someone tells me: "Sarah, you are a great writer," I beam inside, with joy. But my joy has hardened over the years and become pride. I put my heart and soul into my writing...and you better like it or you have no sense!


It was this fervor that I wrote a story for my English exam at the end of last term.

No comments:

Post a Comment